When you create a multi-currency planning application, it generates an “l” standard dimension, and you can add “13” more dimensions.
Steps to add dimensions
When we add the members under the account dimension, we have to select the appropriate account type for the measures.
- A Revenue account indicates the income that is derived by selling the products and services.
- An Expense account type indicates various types of costs involved to manufacture the product (or) to offer the services.
- An Asset account type indicates the property that is being developed by realizing the profit of the company. All account receivables count under the category of asset account type.
- A Liability account type indicates the amount we woe to the outside creditors such as bank loans. All account payables come under the category of the liability account type.
- Equity is a kind of liability but it is linked with a net profit of the company.
- If any of the measures under account dimension doesn’t belong to any of the above account type categories, then we should receive that measures account type as saved Assumption.
Ex: No of units sold, unit price, account
The type of variance reporting decides how the variance formula is going to calculated for the measures. If the variance reporting type is an expense, then it uses the formula Budget – Actual. If the variance reporting is non-expense then it will use formula Actual – Budget.
Time Balance property decides how to calculate the values of the measure across the time period. All the Revenue and Expense Account types will use the as a time balance as this measure will be summarized across the Time Period.
Assets and Liability account types come under the category of Balance as a time balance property as these measures will not be summarized across the time period.
- Enable the Two-pass calculation for measures that calculate the percentage and ratio.
- A plan type indicates a planning database under application by enabling the checkbox. We can include these measures into the appropriate planning database.
- Select the appropriate consolidation operator such as +,-,~,….
- A source plan type indicates which planning database is going to acts as a source for other planning databases.
- Select the data type as currency if the account type is other saved assumptions.
Currency Dimension properties
When you open a currency dimension, you will see one currency is added by default and that is reporting currency or Base currency according to the selection we have made at the time of application creation.
- Click on ADD to add another local currency that selects the currency code from the Dropdown list.
It is used to represent company business location by region wise.
- Click on add child. Provide an appropriate name and Data storage. Select the Base currency from the dropdown list according to the region it belongs to leave the Data type as unspecified.
Inclined to build a profession as Hyperion Planning? Then here is the blog post on, explore Hyperion Planning
It is used to group all the related data, and it can have actual, Budget, and Forecast members.
By default, we all get a scenario called current is created, and we can use this member or Delete this member.
- To add a member click on add
- Select the scenario member name, start year, start period, end year, end period according to the requirement
- Select the appropriate data storage and level all other default selections and click on save
It is used to maintain different versions of data for the same scenario members.
This dimension is used to maintain different budget data by expecting different market conditions.
There are two types of versions
- The standard target type version is used to maintain the data at the top level measures, such s profits. We assign this target type version to the top-level management which will enable them to enter the budget data at the top level in the account dimension hierarchy.
- Standard button up type version will be used by the budget which will enable them to enter the budget data using low-level measures in an account dimension hierarchy.
Refreshing the data
Once we built the metadata then we have to push this metadata, into the Essbase server by using the following steps.
- Click on Administration à manage database
- Select the database and then click on create, if it is a first-time refresh
- For further modifications to the planning application such as adding dimensions, members. Please click on the refresh
- Click on refresh one more time
- Click on finish once the status is shown as complete
For in-depth understanding click on: