A). Multiuser: A multi-user Operating system allows more than one user to share the same computer system at the same time.
B). Multi Tasking: More than one program can be run at a time. The main concept of multitasking is maximum utilizing CPU resources
C). Open System: The UNIX is open source code i.e Any user can modified Unix open source code according there ideas and requirements
- Using UNIX open source codeSun Micro Systems+ Adding additional features =Sun SalariesIBM+Adding additional feature = IBM-AIXHP+Adding additional feature= HP=UXSunta Curuz + Adding additional feature= SCO-UnixSilicon Graphics +Adding additional feature= IRIXMicro Soft+Adding additional feature = xenix
- Any operating system developed based on UNIX open source code known as flavors of UNIX
- The Linux was given to GPL (General Public License) Organized by GNU.
- Linux Torvalds, who was then a student at the university of Helsinki in fin land, developed Linux in 1991. Linux is also open system
Distributors of Linux
- Red Hat
- White box
Interested in mastering Linux? Learn more about Linux Tutorial in this blog post.
D). Security: One of the most valued advantages of linux over the other plat forms lies with the high security levels it ensures. Every linux user is happy to work in a virus-Free environment and use the regular virus – prevention time needed when working with other operating systems for other more important task.
--> UNIX/LINUX has given two levels of securities.
- System level Security: Its controlled by system Administrator.
- File level Security: Its controlled by owner of the file.
E). Portability: Portability means Independent of hardware & processors
F). Communication: The main concept of communication facility Exchanging of information or files form one user account to other user account.
G). Programming Facility: UNIX o/s provides shell. Shell works like a programming language. It provides commands and keywords.
|Script Language||Programming Language|
|It is an interpreter based language.||Compiler based language|
|Interpreter Converts high level||The whole program in a single short into machine language.|
|Doesn’t create .exe files||Create .exe files|
|No need to compile the program.||Need to compile the program|
|It takes less lines of code||Takes numerous lines of code.|
|Reduces cost of maintenance||Increases cost of maintenance.|
H). Help facility : It is the beautiful feature of UNIX/ LINUX Operating systems. Don’t know the information about given command just go through the help line.
#Man <command name>
#info <Command name>
#<command name> --help
For indepth understanding of Linux click on