Multiuser: A multi-user Operating system allows more than one user to share the same computer system at the same time.
Multi-Tasking: More than one program can be run at a time. The main concept of multitasking is maximum utilizing CPU resources
Open System: The UNIX is open source code i.e Any user can modify Unix open-source code according to there ideas and requirements
- Using UNIX open source codeSun Micro Systems+ Adding additional features =Sun SalariesIBM+Adding additional feature = IBM-AIXHP+Adding additional feature= HP=UXSunta Curuz + Adding additional feature= SCO-UnixSilicon Graphics +Adding additional feature= IRIXMicro Soft+Adding additional feature = xenix
- Any operating system developed based on UNIX open-source code known as flavors of UNIX
- The Linux was given to GPL (General Public License) Organized by GNU.
- Linux Torvalds, who was then a student at the University of Helsinki in fin land, developed Linux in 1991. Linux is also an open system
Distributors of Linux
- Red Hat
- White box
Inclined to build a profession as Linux Developer? Then here is the blog post on, explore Linux Training
Security: One of the most valued advantages of Linux over the other platforms lies with the high-security levels it ensures. Every Linux user is happy to work in a virus-Free environment and use the regular virus prevention time needed when working with other operating systems for another more important task.
--> UNIX/LINUX has given two levels of securities.
- System-level Security: It's controlled by the system administrator.
- File-level Security: It's controlled by the owner of the file.
Portability: Portability means Independent of hardware & processors
Communication: The main concept of communication facility Exchanging of information or files from one user account to another user account.
Programming Facility: UNIX o/s provides shell. Shell works like a programming language. It provides commands and keywords.
|Script Language||Programming Language|
|It is an interpreter based language.||Compiler based language|
|Interpreter Converts high level||The whole program in a single short into machine language.|
|Doesn’t create .exe files||Create .exe files|
|No need to compile the program.||Need to compile the program|
|It takes fewer lines of code||Takes numerous lines of code.|
|Reduces cost of maintenance||Increases the cost of maintenance.|
Help facility: It is a beautiful feature of UNIX/ LINUX Operating systems. Don’t know the information about the given command just go through the helpline.
#Man <command name>
#info <Command name>
#<command name> --help
For an in-depth understanding of Linux click on