CommVault Interview Questions
CommVault is the most demanding skill in 2021. According to Forbes, there are wonderful opportunities for freshers and experienced candidates in the tech market. The share value of CommVault eventually increased to 4.3%. So it is clear that CommVault will be one of the future skills in 2021.
If you are looking for CommVault Interview Questions and Answers? Then you’re at the right place. Our experts compiled Top 40 CommVault Interview Questions and Answers for freshers and Experienced, which will help you clear the interview.
CommVault Simpana Interview Questions
Q1) What is meant by CommVault?
Ans: Commvault is an information management platform where your information can be secured utilizing its software items. The software items are equipped for taking up reinforcements and have a recovery executive process.
Q2) Explain about CommVault Tool?
Ans: CommVault is a data and the executives' arrangement that offers to manage and protect your business information. CommVault is a publicly-traded software organization established in 1988, situated in the United States of America. This product can be utilized for cloud management, data backup, and recovery. CommVault, which is also known as Simpana, Software empowers us to access and utilize their information, anyplace, and whenever transforming the information into a ground-breaking vital resource. This software solution revamps the data's security for the expansive NetApp storage portfolio, and many firms use the CommVault as a reinforcement for the information recuperation purpose.
Q3) Explain the features of CommVault?
Ans: Following are some of the features of CommVault:
- Delivers efficient storage management using duplication for tape and disk.
- It provides security to the data and supports all major operating systems, mobile devices, databases, and applications.
- Offers simplified management through a single console.
- Provides encryption and security.
- Clients can use third-party screen readers with the help of a web console, admin console management, and command-line interface.
- Edge Endpoint Solutions
- Media Management
- Snapshot Management
- CommCell Management
- Data Management
Q4) Tell us about various ways of doing High Availability?
Ans: Following are various ways of doing High Availability:
- SQL Mirroring
- Clustering SQL level
- Log Shipping
Q5) Explain storage policy in CommVault?
Ans: The storage policy typically relies on customer reinforcement and storage plans. It characterizes which data should be stored and what kind of data should be stored. Further, the information is stored in a secured environment.
Q6) List out various types of Storage Policies in CommVault?
Ans: Following are various types of Storage Policies in CommVault:
- Disaster Recovery Backup
Q7) Explain various Copies that are available in CommVault?
Ans: CommVault had only one primary copy, and for that, there will be auxiliary types of copies. There are three auxiliary/secondary types of Copies in CommVault:
Selective Copy: A Selective copy is a cycle that will permit a person to duplicate a particular set of reinforcements from a source copy. The source can be one of the accompanying, primary copy, or asynchronous copy. A selective copy turns out better for tape rotation.
Synchronous Copy: In Synchronous copy, it includes primary data from the source copy.
IntelliSnap Backup Copy: In this copy phase, both the essential and auxiliary duplicates are stored to be accessible during the reinforcement stage. If the auxiliary storage doesn't have the necessary space, then the backup task will fail.
Q8) Explain about DDB in CommVault?
Ans: Deduplication is a proficient method of sending and storing the information by eliminating and duplication the information during backup. DDB Backup Subclient secures deduplication DataBase (DDB). When duplication is enabled, storage policy and DDB backup subclient are also under the media customer agent and file system agent where the DDBs are facilitated.
Q9) Explain how to configure the CommVault Proxy?
Ans: Following are the steps to configure the CommVault proxy:
Step1: Right-click on the customer PC to be utilized as a Commvault proxy from the Commvault browser and select the properties.
Step2: From the properties dialog box, click on the Network button and select the configure firewall settings checkbox.
Step3: Click on the choices tab and pick "this PC is in DMZ and will function as a proxy checkbox."
Step4: Click on the incoming connection tab and select add.
Step5: Select the CommServe_client_name from the list.
Step6: From the State list, select RESTRICTED and click OK.
Q10) Tell us about the Global Deduplication Storage Policy?
Ans: The global deduplication strategy furnishes a typical deduplication database(DDB) that can be shared by different storage strategy duplicates. It permits the deduplication of information from various copies, which results in eliminating excess information.
Q11) Explain the Commcell Environment?
Ans: A Commcell climate is the legitimate gathering of all the software segments that manage, transfer, and secure the information. It consists of clients, MediaAgent, and CommServe hosts.
CommServe - It is the central management element that organizes and executes all Commcell activities.
MediaAgent - It is an information transmission administrator in the Commcell climate, which empowers high-performance information that develops and handles information storage libraries.
Client - A Client is a legitimate gathering of agents that characterize movement, protection, and management of information related to the clients.
Q12) Explain about CommServer DR procedures?
Ans: CommServe DR is equipment which comprises of Copy DR sets this gives CommServe facilities and reestablishes the CS DR systems.
Q13) Explain how CommVault works?
Ans: Commvault software consists of various modules for searching, analyzing, protecting, and replicating the information; all these modules share similar back-end services and advanced capacities to consistently interface with one another.
Information is ensured by installing agent software on the virtual or physical hosts that utilization the application's local APIs or working frameworks to secure information in a predictable state. This information is then supported up through Media Agent to the plate, tape, or distributed storage. The whole information is managed by a centralized server is also known as CommServe.
Q14) Explain the use of proxy servers in CommVault?
Ans: The utilization of the proxy server is primarily to decrease the load on the production server. The proxy servers utilize the reinforcement activities to pass the snapshot of the data to reinforcement media.
- The storage exhibit is commonly accessed to develop a snapshot of the data
- The snapshot that we can catch is utilized to mount the ESX servers assigned for the snap mount.
- The snapshot is then unmounted for additional usage.
- The mounted snapshot is used as a file system and the necessary content will be perused.
- The file reinforcement is essential to copy the storage strategy
- At the point when the reinforcement task is done, the snapshot is unmounted.
Inclined to build a profession as CommVault Developer? Then here is the blog post on, explore CommVault Training
Q15) What happened in the backup copy activities in the proxy server?
Ans: During the backup copy tasks the accompanying operations are executed:
1.The snapshot of the data is mounted to the ESX server which is exclusively assigned for the snap mount.
2. When the snap is mounted then it is treated as a file framework and the necessary elements are prepared and read.
3. The reinforcement of the file framework is performed to the Primary duplicate of the storage strategy.
4. When the reinforcement duplicate occupation is done, at that point the snapshot will be unmounted.
Q16) List out the regular backup failures that most of the clients experienced in CommVault?
Ans: Following are the most frequent backup failures that are reported by the clients:
- Client Services might be shut down for maintenance.
- Data path Offline
- Media agent Offline
- Network communication issues
- VSS snapshot backup issues
- Destination disk libraries full
Q17) How to use a set of specific tapes for a server backup or a list of server backups?
Ans: You can make another scratch pool and all the required media can be transferred to the scratch pool. A sub-customer is appended to a scratch pool which will be utilized. This procedure can possible at two levels they are:
- Storage policy level
Copy policy level
CommVault Technical Interview Questions
Q18) Explain about Silo?
Ans: A Silo is a cluster of disk volume files that are related to the Deduplication Database. It contains the deduplicated information that is composed of the disk storage.
Q19) Explain the Hash Algorithm in CommVault?
Ans: A hash algorithm is utilized in the deduplication operation in the Commvault at whatever point a square of information is perused from the source and an exceptional mark is created for the square of information utilizing a hash algorithm.
Q20) What is the default size of the block for deduplicated storage policies?
Ans: The default block size for deduplicated storage policies is 128kb.
Q21) What percentage of the deduplication ratio is able to be maintained so far?
Ans: This is a common answer and the ratio that can be able to maintain so far is:
- About 90% or more than when it comes to filing system backups.
- Between 70% to 95% when it comes to the database backups.
Q22) How can you access reports in CommVault?
Ans: To gain access to reports, go to the web browser by clicking the URL in a browser. Sign in to the account and click on 'Reports'. On account of a private measurements reporting server, you will have the option to see the reports in the CommCell console.
Q23) Tell us about Intellisnap?
Ans: Intellisnap reinforcement is utilized to develop a point-in-time snapshot of the information. It is primarily used for taking backup of live information and afterward proceeding with the live activities.
Q24) Differentiate between Snapshot and clone in CommVault?
Ans: Cloning is only duplicating something while a snapshot creates an underlying copy and afterward rolls out, resulting in improvements. Both cloning and snapshot are granted as acceptable methodologies for disaster recovery.
Q25) Explain how a VMware backup works?
Ans: The VMware reinforcements are prepared in an accompanying way:
1. Typically, VMware snapshot reinforcements are performed utilizing the intermediary servers.
2. Inside the intermediary servers, we will establish a software called Virtual server agent, for example (VSA)
3. So commvault conveyed through Vcenter.
4. Where a snapshot of VM is performed, and it is mounted in an intermediary server as it were.
5. From the intermediary server, the snapshot picture is sponsored up with the reinforcement cycle usage and will take care of the media agent.
Q26) Define IRM in CommVault?
Ans: IntelliSnap recovery manager (IRM) is utilized to implement hardware storage operations snapshot into a recuperation procedure with no impact on the production server. It likewise gives a unified setup wizard through which you can configure policies, storage media and etc.
Q27) How IRM works in Commvault?
- Snapshot task begins through an on-demand Intellisnap task or schedule from the Commcell console.
- The array is approached through a snapshot task when it is established to develop a snapshot of the content.
- The snapshot is mounted for post-snap activities on the source PC.
- The snapshot is unmounted.
- Presently snapshot gives restore operations/revert/ high-speed mount.
Q28) List out various types of backups that are available in CommVault?
Ans: CommVault replenishes productive backup and restores functionalities to any firm. Following are various types of backups that are available in CommVault:
- Full Backup
Synthetic Full Backup
Selective Online Full Backup
Q29) Explain the process of configuring a cluster backup?
Ans: The accompanying procedure will assist a person in configuring the cluster backup in CommVault:
- First, build a new cluster group
- Add all the customer machines into the cluster group so that it will execute sync action.
- It assists in the establishment of the passive nodes for the framework of the window.
- Complete the establishment
- Then perform a reinforcement procedure for the same cluster backup.
Q30) Explain various transport nodes that are available in the Vmware backup?
Ans: Three types of transport nodes are available in VMware backup:
- Transport Mode SAN
- Local area Network
Q31) Describe Transport Mode San in VMware backup?
- SAN model is associated with a storage framework, and it is maintained.
- The virtual server agent will come into the image, which will acquire the storage framework
- Once the information is perused from the storage, it will stay in Vmware's.
- The ESX host is associated or synchronized to acquire the LUN.
Q32) Describe Local Area Mode in VMware Backup?
- NBD represents a Network block device
- NBDSSL represents an Encrypted Network block device.
The information is transmitted through a protected TCP/IP association between the ESX server and the proxy PC. This is a procedure where the information is passed within the NBD mode.
The above procedure is the same and the information is transmitted through a protected TCP/IP association between the ESX server and the proxy PC. Still, the information will be encrypted for NBDSSL.
Q33) Describe Hotadd mode in VMware backup?
- The Virtual server agent is established on the VM, which resides on the ESX server.
- The information is mounted onto a server automatically
- The information that is mounted on the proxy will acquire a disk.
Q34) Explain the main components of the CommCell Environment?
Ans: Following are the three building components of CommCell Environment:
CommServe: This is the essential management component that performs all the CommCell information tasks.
Media Agent: This is an information transmission manager framework that empowers significant level information development execution and handles the information storage packages.
Client: A client is a coherent group of information agents that executes assignments like the movement of information association, data protection, and management.
Q35) List out all day-to-day activities of a backup admin?
Ans: The reinforcement administrator should screen whether all the booked positions are running as they are assigned. If not, at that point, they need to experience the positions and comprehend the blame and correct the equivalent.
Further, they need to include themselves with a portion of the accompanying well-being tests:
- Need to check for Media specialist, so they are not in disconnected mode
- Need to try to consistently check the free space or the leftover space that is accessible in the plate libraries
- Concentrate a reinforcement report which is fizzled and investigate the equivalent so the amendment cycle can proceed.
- Check routinely for the organization, decommissions, reestablishes demands inside the detailing tools.
Q36) How does the backup copy work for Intellisnap Backup?
Ans: The reinforcement copy activity permits you to duplicate a snapshot of the information to any media. The essential snapshot stores the metadata data related to the snap reinforcements and when the reinforcement duplicate activity is running, the essential depiction information is replicated to the media related to the essential duplicate.
The reinforcement duplicate can be designed in two ways:
Inline Backup Copy- Run during IntelliSnap reinforcement work.
Offline backup Copy- Run freely of the IntelliSnap reinforcement work.
Q37) Is CommVault an Enterprise-level software?
Ans: Yes, it is endeavor level software. Utilizing Commvault software is essential; it is developed without any preparation and has various modules that can be used independently.
Q38) Explain about Continuous Data Replicator(CDR)?
Ans: ContinuousDataReplicator (CDR) repeats information from the source to the objective. It gives information security and recovery for a wide range of information, including application information and record frameworks.
Q39) Explain about DDB Seeding?
Ans: DDB seeding is a predefined work process that permits transferring baseline reinforcement among two destinations utilizing a removable disk drive.
Q40) Explain deduplication building blocks?
Ans: Commvault programming runs a structure block approach for information the executives. A structure block is a mix of worker and capacity to ensure informational indexes paying little heed to the information's sort or birthplace.
Deduplication Building Blocks will permit you to secure enormous information measures with negligible foundation, better adaptability, and quicker reinforcements.
For in-depth knowledge on CommVault Training, click on below: