History of WPF
User 32 standard controls
- This is first step for Microsoft towards GUI based environment This API provides support to standard controls like textboxes, buttons, labels etc.
GDI [graphical Device Interface]
This is enhancement of user 32 API and provides drawing capabilities likes circles. Rectangles, lines But does not support the images.
This API is enhancement of GDI which provide extra functionalities JPG, bitmap but does not support animations, 3D, Hardware accelerations etc
It supports hardware accelerations, animations, 3D and it is completely limited far gaming, programming. But direct X cannot used for commercial application developments
- We can say WPF is a layer on the top of Direct X which provides Direct X features completely for commercial application developments using WPF we cannot perform any kind of gaming, programming
- We can say WPF is enhancement of windows forms applications
- WPF is a next generation presentation system for building windows client application with very good and rich user interface elements using wpf we can create a wide range of both stand alone and browser hosted applications
- WPF is Microsoft next generation UI framework to create the applications with rich user experience
- WPf is included in .Net framework 3.0 version WPF combines user interface elements, 2D graphics, 3D graphics down ments and multimedia into one single framework.
- The back bone of WPF is completely XML based open standard in XAML. (extensible Application markup Language)
- The core of WPF is a resolution independent vector based rendering engine is that is build to take advantage of modern graphics hardware.
- Complete class library of WPF is incorporated with .net framework
Features of WPF
Application development in WPF
The application development in WPF is scattered into following 5 – areas
- Windows based desktop Application
- Navigation Applications
- XBAPS XAML Browser Applications
- Custom control libraries
- Class libraries