Material Master Data
SAP-MM (Material Management)
A) Purchasing Module
B) Inventory Management.
C) Logistic Invoice Verification.
Master Data: The data in the consolidation system remains unchanged over a long period of time called master data.
Transaction Data: The Data uses Mater data while creating transactions.
- Goods or objects that are used, consumed, or created during the manufacturing may be called materials.
- It is the smallest unit that cannot split into any smaller unit.
- The material can be traded, used in manufacture, consumed are produced.
- A Service may also be treated as material.
Inclined to build a profession as SAP MM Developer? Then here is the blog post on, explore "SAP MM Training"
- It contains the description of all materials that an enterprise procures, produces, or keeps in stock.
- It represents the central source for the material-specific data.
- Integration of all material data in a single material database eliminates the problem of data redundancy and permits the data to be used not only purchasing but other applications like inventory management, Material Planning & Control, Invoice Verification, etc.
- The data mentioned in the Material Master is for more than one organizational level
- How the information in the Material Master is organized in the Material Master DataBase?
Data at the Client level (data is valid for the whole company)
Ex: Material No, Short Text, Material Group, Base, and Alternate Unit Of Measure.
Data at Plant level: All the data that is valid within the plant and for all storage locations in its store at the plant level.
Ex: Purchasing data, MRP data, Forecasting data, and work scheduling data
Data at Storage Location Level: All the data that is valid for a particular storage location is stored at this level.
Ex: Storage bin Description, picking area, etc.
Material Type: Certain attributes of Material called Material Type or Grouping of materials with the same basic attributes/characteristics. Ex: Raw Materials, Semi-finished or finished products.
Material Group: Similar properties of material grouped together called Material Group (Or) grouping of materials according to their characteristics.
Material Class: Material Classification is for easy and fast retrieval of (material) data.
Notes on Material Type:
Material Types are used for the following areas
- Profit Center Accounting
- Valuation & A/c Assignment (Valuation Class)
- Product Cost Planning
- Production, BOM, and Routings
- SD (Availability Check)
Material Type determines which accounts are to be posted when a material is posted or leaves from the warehouse.
Together with the plant, the material type determines the materials Inventory Management Requirements like
- Whether changes in Quantity are updated in the Material Master record
- Whether Changes in Values are updated in the Stock A/c in Financial Accounting.
Material Type Controls
- Type of Number assignment
- Permitted Number range interval
- Which screens are to be displayed in which order?
- Which user department-specific data (view) is suggested for entry?
- Which procurement type is permitted for material i.e. whether the material is procured externally, in-house or both allowed.Etc.
Which G/L accounts are to be updated?
Material Types in standard SAP
- ABF - Waste
- COMP- Prod. Alloc. Purchases
- CONT - Kanban Container
- COUP - Coupons
- DIEN - Services
- ERSA - Spare parts
- FERT - Finished Product
- FGTR - Drinks
- FHMI - Prod. Resource/ tools
- FOOD - Food (excl: perishable)
- FRIP - Perishable
- HALB - Semi-finished prod.
- HAWA - Trading goods.
- HERS - Manufacturing Parts.
- HIBE - Operating supplies
- IBAU - Maintenance Assy.
- INTR - Intra material.
- KMAT - Configurable Mat.
- KWFO - Own material.
- LEER - Empties.
- LEIH - Returnable-Packaging
- LGUT - empties (retail)
- MODE - Apparel (seasonal)
- NLAG - Non Stock material
- NOFI - Non-Foods
- PIPE - Pipeline material
- PLAN - Trading goods (planned)
- PROC - Process material
- PROD - Product Group
- ROH - Raw material
- UNBW - Non-Valuated material
- VERP - Packing material
- VKHM - Additionals
- VOLL - Full product
- WERB - Product Catalog
- WERT - Value Only material
- WETT - Competitive product.
Plant / Storage 1
Plant / Storage 2
Storage Loc. Data
Sales Order Text
Foreign Trade Import
Foreign Trade Export
Define the valuation level: SPRO->Enterprise Structure ->Definition -> Logistics – General
Define the valuation level (OX14)
Define Output Format of Material Numbers: SPRO->Logistics – General -> Material Master ->Basic Settings
Define Output Format of Material Numbers (OMSL)
Maintain Company code at Material Management: SPRO->Logistics – General -> Material Master -> Basic Settings Maintain Company Codes for Materials Management (OMSY)
Define Attributes of Material Types: SPRO->Logistics – General -> Material Master -> Basic Settings Material Types-> Define Attributes of Material Types (OMS2) - Qty and Value updating
Define Number Ranges for Each Material Type: SPRO->Logistics – General -> Material Master -> Basic Settings Material Types-> Define No Ranges for Each Material Type (MMNR)
Define Material Groups: SPRO->Logistics – General ->Material Master -> Settings for Key Fields Define Material Groups (OMSF)
Create Purchasing Groups: SPRO->Material Management -> Purchasing -> Material Master Data in SAP MMCreate Purchasing Groups