I. A local installation of either SharePoint Foundation 2010 or SharePoint Server 2010,
ii. Oracle Client (Version: 10g),
iii. Visual Studio 2010 and
iv. BCS Meta Man.
Table Name: HR.CUSTOMERS
In the above table CUSTOMER_ID is the Primary Key.
Creating a BCS External Content Type:
The following steps should be followed to create a BCS External Content Type using Visual Studio 2010.
v. Open Visual Studio 2010.
vi. Go to File => New => Project.
vii. Select Empty SharePoint Project under installed template category SharePoint 2010 and name it as BCSUsingOracleDatabase.
viii. Click OK.
ix. Check "Deploy as a farm solution".
x. Click Finish.
xi. Right click the Solution Explorer and add a New Item.
xii. Select BCSMetaMan under installed template category Lightning Tools and name it as BCSMetaManForOracle.
xiii. Click ADD.
xiv. Add System.Data.OracleClient reference to your project.
xv. Connect to the Oracle Database.
Go to Tools => Connect to Database.
- Add Connection wizard will pop up.
- Choose the Data Source as Oracle Database (Oracle Client).
- Enter the Server Name, User Name and Password and Click on Test Connection and then Click OK.
Desired to gain proficiency on SharePoint?
Explore the blog post on SharePoint training course to become a pro in SharePoint.
In the Server Explorer you can view the Oracle Database as shown below.
xvi. Create an External Content Type Using BCS Meta Man.
You will find the BCS Meta Man menu item in the menu bar.
- Click on BCS Meta Man - > BCS Meta Man Data Source Explorer.
- Click on the "Add Connection" button of the data source explorer.
- In the Connection Dialog choose the Data Source as Oracle.
- Enter the Database Name, User Name and Password.
- Click Connect.
Oracle Database will be displayed with all tables.
- Drag and drop the HR.CUSTOMERS table in the BCS Meta Man design surface.
In the Model Type wizard select .Net assembly and click OK.
- Entity Creation wizard will pop up, click next.
- By default CUSTOMER_ID will be selected as identifier. Click Next.
- Select all the methods that are available and click Generate.
BCS Meta Man will add new files to the project which contain generated C# code.
You'll also see the External Content Type on the design surface as shown below.
xvii. Build the Project.
xviii. Once it is build successfully, Deploy the project and follow the same steps to create External List and configure the security settings as explained in the earlier
For Indepth understanding of SharePoint click on