A shared member is used to create alternate hierarchies. The data for shared members come from the original member. There is no storage space reserved for the shared member. The below rules must be followed for shared members.
- A shared member name must be same as the original member.
- The shared member must come after the original member.
- The shared member and the original member must belong to the same dimension.
- We can create any number of shared members in an outline.
- The shared member cannot have formula, UDA, Attribute attached to it.
- The shared member can have an alias.
- The shared member cannot have child members.
In this example, Soda is parent member and coke, pepsi are child members. Coke has two child members, coke-1L and coke-2L. Pepsi has two child members, Pepsi-1L, Pepsi-2L.
In the report, we want to get the total for coke and also, we want to get the total for Pepsi. In another report, we want to get the total for 1L products and total for 2L products. Essbase doesn’t allow duplicate records. To get 1L totals, create 1L parent and add coke-1L and Pepsi-1L as shared members. Create 2L parent in product dimension and add Coke-2L and Pepsi-2L as shared members.
Shared members increase the size of the outline.
To create shared members using Rules files, use Duplicate Generation reference or parent
Child reference member.
To create the above outline , using parent child reference method, use the source as mentioned
- Open data prep editor, Click file->open data file and locate the file
- Click dimension build fields button, Click Field properties.
- Click Dimension build properties, Make sure you are in first field.
- Select dimension name, by double clicking it(For example Products)
- Select field type as parent. Ne need to change the number in the number field.
- Click next and select the dimension (Products)and select the field type as child.
The number will remain same. Click OK.
- Click options, dimension build settings and dimension build settings tab again.
- Select the dimensions (geography)by double clicking on it .
- Select “use parent/child reference method ” under build method.
- Click OK. Validate and save the rules file.
Once the rules files file is created , double click the outline , click outline>update outline.
Another screen appears . click find data file, locate source file . click find rules file and locate the rules file . select overwrite check box . click OK.
The above source file create a hierarchy which has + symbol next it 1L and 2L members. To give ~ symbol next 1L and 2L, use the below source file
Open data prep editor open source file . map the first field to parent for products dimension click NEXT . select the products dimension. Select property under field type . click NEXT for last column , select child ,click OK . click options , dimension build settings and select “allow property changes ” select “use parent child reference method ” under build method . click OK .validate and save the rules file
Shared members can also created using level reference method also
coke-1L coke-1L soda
coke-2L coke-2L soda
pepsi-1L pepsi-1L soda
pepsi-2L pepsi-2L soda
open data prep editor, open the above source file . map the first column to level for products dimension . enter number 0 in the number field . click next . select level under field type . the level member increases to 1 automatically . click next. Select products dimensions . select field as duplicate level . the number will be only . click next select products dimensions. Select level under type . the number increases to 2. Click options , dimensions build settings . dimension build settings tab again . select use level reference method . click OK validate and save the rules file .
this method automatically creates ~ symbol on shared member parent .(EX: on 1L and 2L )
- When a parent has only one child , analytic services doesn’t need to calculate the parent member . its simply refers the value from it’s child .
In this example , quantity parents has only one child and it need not to get calculated from .
Child, instead it simply refers the value from opening in 0 field . there is no storage
Space reserved for “quantity ” member.
- When a parents has more than one child , but other one child has consolidation symbol + and other child members has ~ operator , then analytic services doesn’t need to calculate the parent member its simply refers the value from the child i.e having +operator .
In this example quantity parent has three child members but only opening inventory has + operator and the remaining member has ~ operator. Quantity simply referable from opening inventory field . there is no storage space reserved for “quantity” member .